Monday, August 18, 2014

FERGUSON

This article was very interesting to me. Here's a quote that stood out, "St. Louis County alone, African-American poor are six times as likely as white poor to live in areas of concentrated poverty." The main thing I want my white friends to see is not so much who is right and who is wrong, but that there is still major segregation and racial discrimination that was NOT all fixed with the Civil Rights movement, and we do NOT all live in peace together now. We have gotten stuck since the civil rights movement and maybe we are about to have another one, Dave and I wonder. The Ferguson police couldn't handle it, the St Louis County police couldn't handle it, the MO Highway Patrol couldn't handle it, and now the National Guard is coming in. In the map in this article is the place I served home health for 5 years. I can drive through those streets and stop at those fast food restaurants for a restroom break and think about many of the dear dear families I served through home heath, where we would do the best we could having conversations about race relations. There are no easy answers - this stuff is SO complex - but let me tell you, white friends, it means so much to some one who is black to hear you talk and acknowledge that there are deep problems and that you care about these problems and that you care about black people too. Why did the Michael Brown shooting happen here? : News www.stltoday.com A cluster of apartments on Ferguson's far corner is a hotbed for crime and poverty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home