Friday, October 06, 2006

TRUE AND FALSE GUILT

So I got dumped last week, and it turned out to be a great object lesson for my women's group on guilt. We are talking about how to discern true guilt from false guilt. True guilt is conviction by the Holy Spirit that we have sinned. We can be free from true guilt by asking forgiveness from the Holy Spirit because we are cleansed by the blood of Christ. That and that alone frees and saves us. So its done by the blood and we don't have to add to it. We can't add to it.

And then there's false guilt. That is when you let someone else's opinion define who you are instead of God. So that would be if I let being dumped define who I am. But that has nothing to say about who I am at my core. The gospel defines who I am. I was bought with the blood of Jesus and I am being changed and restored more every day, and that's where my worth lies. I have infinite worth, and a guy not wanting to date me doesn't touch that. So I can be sad, but I don't have to wallow in false guilt. I can be free of it also as I recognize it for the lie that it is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Timotheus said...

It is interesting that you used the term "false" guilt. I use the term "false" morality when I am pointing out the morality of the fundamentalists. LOL

Tim

10/09/2006 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home