Saturday, January 06, 2007

WHAT NOT TO SAY

I want to start blogging more about how to love those who are hurting, since I have been asked this a lot lately. So that will be a theme for a while. Here's the first installment. I asked friends who had faced difficult suffering what they wish had NOT been said to them. What they said underscores how helpful it can be to simply listen.

"I think you need to get some professional help."
"'I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me....'"
"'Rejoice in the Lord at all times....'"
"It's not that bad compared to (insert major world crisis)."
"Be glad that God is making you stronger."
"Just try harder and you can do it."
"You're just a Drama Queen."
"Other people have it worse than you do."
"Let me know how that goes, huh?"
"God must really have it in for you."
"Weren’t you struggling with this last week?"
"I struggled with something just like that and I got over it."
"Remember, it is important to keep a good witness."
"Well, this is God’s will so don’t complain."
"Please don’t share this in public."
"If you had more faith, you would be healed."
"I'll pray for you" (translation: "I am uncomfortable being with someone who is hurting, so I'm going to get you to quit talking about it by saying I'll pray for you and sound spiritual in the process.")
"Everything works for the good of those who love him" (translation: "I have never really been hurting in my life and I have no idea how to relate to what you're saying so if you're hurting you must have done something wrong.")

Its interesting how many of these are scripture from the Word of God.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adaline said...

Any advice on what is helpful to say? I think I always say "I'm sorry" which isn't saying much...

1/07/2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sometimes I say I'll pray for people when I think that I can do nothing else to help them, and I sincerely mean it. I don't think that I'm usually trying to end the conversation, but sometimes that might be true. I sound defensive here - I guess I'm just trying to say that sometimes when people say they're praying for you, they're not trying to end the conversation and they honestly care.
Barbara

1/07/2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger Ann Louise said...

I agree, people can be sincere. And on what IS helpful to say - that's what I want to deal with over the long haul on the next several of my blogs.

Thanks for commenting, y'all. :)

1/09/2007 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home