Friday, November 17, 2006

WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT SIN FROM THE MOVIE "THIRTEEN"

"Margie and I work hard to keep our fingers on the pulse of our postmodern world. None of the themes which are woven into Thirteen are new to us. We know about the constant barrage of pressure that descends on young people concerning body image—and know that no one who lives in our culture can escape the relentless messages that are displayed on billboards, magazine covers, and even many Christian publications. We are concerned for the fragmentation that is tearing apart families, producing a painful confusion and deep anger in an entire generation. We know how numb so many young people feel, and how for some, cutting themselves brings a moment of relief, a reassurance that they are, after all, alive. We hear questions and confusion in their music, and see in their eyes the yearning that someone would be there for them. None of this is new to us, and yet we are glad we watched Thirteen. Though we have been graced by young people willing to let us into their broken lives, this powerfully disturbing film helps us see more clearly how their world looks from the inside. Seeing more clearly drives us to pray, to listen with greater attention, and to be sure our explanation of the gospel fits their need and questions."This is a direct quote from Denis Haack about the movie "Thirteen" from his web site: http://www.ransomfellowship.org/M_Thirteen.html
Rated R for drug use, self destructive violence, language and sexuality—all involving young teens.

My roommate and I watched this movie last night. I came away frustrated that the church seems to be so out of touch with the world. I came away wanting to encourage everyone I know to watch it, and I'm not sure if that's right or not because its a very vulgar movie in a lot of ways, and has issues that could make many stumble. But the thing about it that I want others to see is the parts of it that are so disturbing. The world that we live in is DISTURBING. I got the wonderful opportunity to interview Dianne Langberg yesterday - she is one of the women that I most respect in this world - a true mentor to me. My brother and I are co-writing an article about how the church can love those who are struggling. So I was given the opportunity to ask her what she has learned in the 35 years she has been passionate about loving those who are struggling and hurting. As I asked her about how she works against the savior complex, how she lets Jesus be the Savior and doesn't try to save the world herself, she told me how she learned long ago that she simply is no match for the depth of sin in us all. She said that it took learning that sin is so much deeper than just our thoughts and our words. We as a church need to see that sin is so much more than our thoughts and our words, and we need to fall completely onto our Savior who is the only match for sin. This movie will help you see how deep and intrenched sin is in the world, and that's why I want to urge people to watch it. Don't hide your eyes - it won't protect you anyways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home