Sunday, November 12, 2006

COMMUNITY AND FAMILY IN CHURCH

My church is very much a family to me. I desire to have children of my own; I don't, but I still have many opportunities to "parent" and to be in the lives of children. Here are some examples. This morning I was sitting behind a family who has invited me to be really involved in their family. And because of their invitation and my desire and willingness to enter in, then as I watched the mom struggle with 3 wiggly kids as the dad was helping lead worship at that moment, I leaned up and whispered to the 4 year old, "Do you need to come back and sit with me, or are you going to be able to stay here and have self control and sit quietly like Mommy asks?" This 4 year old already knows that I love her and we interact positively all the time. So on that basis of love, this family invites me to love her even more and help her and her entire family out like this. The little girl began to sit still and stop fighting with her sister, and the mom mouthed, "thanks" to me. Later during the fellowship time, a 5 year old came to me and asked me to help him get some juice. No matter what size the issue, its sweet to be ale to "mother" in a way. What an honor and privilege to get to be such a part of childrens' lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home