Tuesday, May 01, 2007

BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER

Ah, to have free time to work on my blog!

There's so much that has happened and conferences I've been to that I've wanted to write about.

I'll start with 1 big thing - finishing reading a book on Borderline Personality Disorder. Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image, and behavior. This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. Originally thought to be at the "borderline" of psychosis, people with BPD suffer from a disorder of emotion regulation. While less well known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2 percent of adults, mostly young women.1 There is a high rate of self-injury without suicide intent, as well as a significant rate of suicide attempts and completed suicide in severe cases.2,3 Patients often need extensive mental health services, and account for 20 percent of psychiatric hospitalizations.4 Yet, with help, many improve over time and are eventually able to lead productive lives. (directly copied from )

The book I read is called "Get Me Out of Here" by Rachel Reiland. Its an autobiography of her recovery. Very fascinating. Its a long hard road, as is any recovery from any trauma, and all the harder when the trauma is in childhood. Here's a quote that would apply to a lot of different healing situations: from her counselor, "You can't skip a phase, Rachel. A child needs to be self-centered long enough to feel secure before she can move on. Whether you go through it at 3 or 33, it doesn't matter." p 340.

I recommend reading this book or reading about borderline personality disorder, because it gives a good view of the horrible struggle that many in this world go through as a result of sin.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I love your profile and your blog,
I am just understanding the BPD issue
I have spent some time with a church member who has this and it is very difficult,,but however, when we learn to accept and not change this person,,
after some time,,she has helped me in my life discover that I was married to an ex who has this disorder,,
I feel that God is now leading me to prepare the congregation to this disorder and they are all fearful of it,,,so people are placed in our paths for a purpose and this is one of them,,

12/29/2009 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement with the comment above.

Jesus didn't refer people to counselors. Ge met them "where they were at"

1/29/2012 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home