Friday, March 10, 2006

TAKING MEDICINE FOR DEPRESSION

Why do we have such a hard time agreeing that we may need medicine for depression? Now I am not saying that we need to give medicine out lightly. I know that there is big discussion about doctors prescribing anti-depressants when they haven't fully explored the need for them. I don't really want to go into that now. What I do want to address is the idea that is very prevalent among Christians that if we take anti-depressants then it will only numb us and keep us from learning to have faith and to work through our sin. Its as if they are happy pills that will mask our sinful choices and make us think that everything is fine. Well my personal experience is exactly the opposite. Its only by taking medicine have I had a clear enough head to be able to deal with anything else. Once I took medicine then I could think rationally and then be able to deal with my sin, to deal with having faith in the Lord, to deal with the emotional woundedness that was the root of the depression. I've talked to many a friend who I've strongly urged to look into whether or not they need medicine, and many where the doctor has told them that yes they do need medicine, and they still won't take it because of the label attached. It grieves my heart. There is so much more joy to be found and to be known when we aren't depressed. Its like the cloud that sits in front of your eyes is removed. And yet I've seen so many people keep sitting under that cloud because they listen to the remarks like this: "well everyone has to deal with sadness. Its a normal part of life. You need to just be able to do it without any fake help."

2 Comments:

Blogger KYP said...

Ann Louise, you know that there is a resounding "Amen!" to this from my corner! Thank you for expressing this so clearly. Love!

3/12/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Ann Louise said...

I'm so glad that my blog can encourage you chrissy!
Love,
Ann Louise

3/14/2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home